By Ross Lenihan
Labor 411 is thrilled to officially announce we are coming to the City of Brotherly and Sisterly Love! Philadelphia is set to become the fourth 411 city and we can’t wait to promote the amazing work of our union sisters and brothers in Philly (and to get tips on great cheese steak spots!). A print edition of Philly 411 is set for this summer, just in time for the Democratic National Convention, which hits town July 25-28.
Here are some fun facts about Philly, both union and non-union, to get you excited:
• Total Union Members for the Philadelphia area: 369,748.
• Philadelphia ranks #5 among U.S. metro areas in terms of total union membership.
• Philly union members were responsible for approximately $20 billion in consumer spending in 2014.
• Around 50,000 attendees are expected for the DNC in July.
• Philadelphia is one of 13 major U.S. metro areas with teams from the four major sports - the Eagles (NFL), Phillies (MLB), 76ers (NBA), and Flyers (NHL). All four stadiums employ union concession workers.
In the words of Rocky Balboa, “If you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth.” Let’s do this, Philly!