By Michael Messina
The greatest of all American summer celebrations is upon us. Independence Day unites a nation on a day when we all lift up what we love about our United States of America. Labor 411 is bound in a tradition of pride when it comes to all things American made and union made. We are proud of the quality products our country produces.
With that said, who doesn’t love a delicious BBQ?! We’ve created some great lists in the past of what to throw on the grill and what to wash it all down with, but what of the other necessities that make the day so much fun? How about the grill itself, or the cooler that’s keeping those brewskis chilled? Union-made Fourth of July amenities are here:
1. Coolers: It’s hot. Anyone want a lukewarm beer or soda? Me neither.
2. American Flags: It wouldn’t be a complete Independence Day without Old Glory waving in the breeze.
Artflag, Annin Flagmakers
3. The Grill: Fire it up! The Weber Q series grills are assembled in Palatine, IL by proud members of International Union of Allied Novelty and Production Workers (IUANPW).
4. Sunscreen: As previously noted, it’s hot. The July sun can do some damage if you don’t lather on the sunscreen.
Coppertone, Bain de Soleil
5. Games: It’s a long day, and the fireworks don’t start until it gets dark. Keep the kids (and adults) busy with these classics.
Barrel of Monkeys, Battleship, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Clue, Connect Four, Game of Life, Memory, Monopoly, Pictionary, Risk, Scrabble, Sorry, Taboo, Twister, Yahtzee
6. Plates, cups and bowls: A picnic necessity. Single use items brought to you by that familiar red cup: Go Solo.
7. Hats: When the sunscreen just isn’t enough, it’s time to cover up.
Athletic Cap Co., Hatco, Headwear Creations, Imperial Headwear, Korber Hats, Unionwear