By Sandy Southivilay
With the kids at home for this chilly winter break, a nice, delicious home-cooked chicken pot pie will definitely bring a smile to their glowing faces. This recipe has the perfect combination of creamy on the inside and crispy on top. Not only is this dish a hit on the cold winter nights, but buying the union-made products listed below will also support good American jobs.
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (Butterball)
½ cup broccoli (Dole)
½ cup carrots (Dole)
½ cup cauliflower (Dole)
1 onion, finely chopped (Dole)
¾ cup peas (Mann’s)
½ tsp thyme
1 can of cream of chicken soup (Campbell's)
2 cups of chicken broth (Campbell's)
½ cup flour (Gold Medal)
Kosher salt (Morton)
2 tbsp vegetable oil (Great Value)
Uncooked Biscuits (Dawn Foods Bakery)
4 tbsp butter (Land O’Lakes Butter)
1 ½ cup milk (Horizon)
1. Set the stove to a medium heat temperature. Set a large skillet on the stove and add oil.
2. Once the skillet is hot, add the chopped broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, onions and peas. Let the vegetables simmer for five minutes.
3. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Remove the mixed vegetables from the skillet and set the mixed vegetables aside with the precooked chicken.
4. Now add butter to the same skillet on medium heat. Stir in flour once the butter melts. Stir consistently for one minute. Slowly add in the milk, chicken soup, and thyme. Let the sauce simmer until thick. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Next, turn off the stove and add the vegetables and chicken into the skillet. Stir until the filling is evenly distributed.
6. Add the filling into a 13 x 9 inch baking tray and bake in a 400 degrees oven.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the dish and top off the tray with biscuits.
8. Return the tray to the oven with the biscuits on top and bake for another ten minutes.
9. Let cool before serving.
Get the latest Product Spotlights, labor blogs and more with the Labor 411 enewsletter